When it comes to internal audit activities, it’s important to understand the IATF 16949:2016 requirements. For those responsible for performing internal audits, there are several key points to note.
IATF 16949:2016 Checklist
The internal auditor must:
- Understand the automotive approach for performing an audit, including risk-based thinking.
- Understand customer-specific requirements.
- Understand both ISO 19001:2015 and IATF 16949:2016 requirements related to the scope of the audit.
- Understand core tool requirements related to the scope of the audit.
- Understand how to plan, conduct, report, and close out an audit.
- Demonstrate a technical understanding of the relevant manufacturing process.
- Demonstrate competence in understanding the product requirements and the use of relevant measuring and testing equipment to verify product conformity.
In addition, the business must be able to demonstrate the maintenance and improvement of internal audits by:
- Executing a minimum number of audits per year.
- Maintaining the knowledge of relevant requirements based on internal and external changes to standards, processes, technologies, core tools, and customer-specific requirements.
Today, these requirements have become more stringent than in the past. They apply to 2nd party audits as well. Each business must:
- Use professionals trained and qualified in auditing.
- Require the auditor to be experienced in quality standards.
- Ensure the auditor is knowledgeable in the process or product.
- Confirm the auditor understands automotive core tools related to the scope of the audit.
Internal Audit Support, Training, & Global Certification
In many cases, these new requirements can put a strain on a company’s ability to utilize internal resources for the auditing process. TRIGO, a global quality partner in the auto industry, provides auditing activities and globally certified training courses for over 8,000 customers. With 24/7 global coverage, we can meet you in over 25+ countries.
More about our Auditing Service:
- TRIGO auditors are fully vetted, trained, and qualified to perform internal audits.
- We help manage Quality Management System (QMS) audits, manufacturing process audits, and product audits.
- Additionally, our professionals help with the development of internal audit processes.
More about our Internal Auditor Training Course:
- Walk away with the skills needed to perform internal audits, in compliance with the recent IATF 16949:2016.
- The course is globally certified by Exemplar and taught by instructors with 20+ years of experience teaching in workshops.
- Our instructors combine methodologies from the classroom with hands-on tactics from the shop floor.
- We emphasize the importance of continual improvement with practical solutions and best practices.
To meet your IATF 16949:2016 requirements, don’t hesitate to contact us and get connected with a TRIGO representative for more info.