With the changes from ISO/TS 16949:2009 to the IATF 16949:2016 standard in the auto industry, one of the major changes to know pertains to Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Development.
What are the New IATF Audit Requirements?
The most recent IATF 16949:2016 contains specific requirements for developing suppliers. As a registered company, you must:
- Require suppliers of automotive products and services to develop, implement, and improve their quality management system (QMS). For eligible organizations, they must be certified for IATF 16949:2016.
- Use a risked-based model to define the minimum acceptable level of QMS development for each supplier. Unless otherwise authorized by the customer, the minimum acceptable level should be a QMC certification for ISO 9001.
- Guide suppliers through the QMS process based on performance and the potential risk to the customer:
- ISO 9001 certification is gained via a third-party audit by a member from the International Accreditation Forum Multilateral Recognition Arrangement. The accreditation’s main scope of expertise includes the IOS/IEC 17021 management system certification.
- ISO 9001 certification should comply with other QMS requirements defined by the customer via second-party audit.
- ISO 9001 certification should comply with IATF 16949 as well via second-party audit.
- IATF 16949 certification is gained via a third-party audit by an IATF certified body.
Understanding the Changes
Automotive suppliers are required to develop their QMS supplier systems focused on progressive improvements, ranging from ISO 9001:2015 compliance to IATF 16949:2016 certification. As part of continual improvements in supplier quality controls, utilizing second-party audits has become a key element.
In order to comply with the new updates, we highly encourage you to develop your organization’s current resources with preparation and training. Invest in your organization’s capacities and abilities so that required audits can be performed internally. Of course, each business has its own unique conditions and challenges. Using external resources on a need to need basis also works.
For Support, Call TRIGO
TRIGO has 20+ years of working with and certifying second-party auditors. We are proud to be a trusted provider of internal and external auditing solutions in the automotive industry. We make sure the auditors we work with are fully vetted with the right IATF certificates and knowledgeable about various requirements defined by the customer.
More about TRIGO’s global audit support:
- In most cases, audit services can be deployed where your supplier is located. Our experts can cover over 25 countries.
- Auditors not only speak the local language but understand the local culture.
- Audit services cost lower due to our wide and global network, infrastructure, plus optimized solutions.
- Audits can be provided on an as-needed basis, allowing you to optimize costs with a part-time resource versus a full-time employee.
- At the completion of an audit, we provide a report of the results along with a list of recommended actions.
- To further support your supplier QMS development, TRIGO’s consultants are ready to step in with deep knowledge of IATF requirements, experience in the commodity, and understanding of the industry.
Take advantage of focusing on internal core operations while your external audit activities are handled by professionals.